Preparing for Kindergarten
Skills to Practice
Have your child practice these skills throughout the summer to prepare for school
- Shut and lock stall door
- Flush toilet
- Wipe independently
- Undo and redo clothing
- Wash and dry hands
- Open drinks and wrappers
- Throw away trash
- Know the difference between disposable and reusable items
- Zip, button, snap, tie
- Put on and take off jacket
- Tie shoes
- Know first and last name
- Know parent/caregiver’s first and last names
- Know parent/caregiver’s phone number
- How to sit in a chair
- Keep hands to self
- Sit quietly and listen to a short story
- Pack and upack backpack
- Willingess to do non-preferred tasks
Fine Motor Skills
- Hold a pencil
- Use crayons
- Hold and use scissors
- Trace a dotted line
- Draw basic shapes
Literacy and Phonemic Awareness
- Letter names and sounds
- Understand we read from left to right
- Understand that letters form words
- Recognize letters in his/her name
- Retell what happened in a story
- Count to 20
- Identify numbers
- Identify basic shapes
- Sort by color, size and shape
Speaking and Listening
- Follow multi-step directions (i.e.: push in chair and line up at the door)
- Speak in sentences
- Ask questions when curious
- Participate in a conversation
Social and emotional skills
- Respectfully answer adults
- Responds to name
- Know how to ask for help when confused
- Separate from parent/caregiver without strong emotions
- Win or lose without major emotions
- Show and understand basic emotions (reacts appropriately when a peer is sad, etc.)
- Be kind to peers
- Share and take turns
- Wait turn to speak
- What are some positive ways to deal with “kindergarten fatigue” in my child?
- How can I get my child to share more about what goes on during his/her school day?
- What does my child’s teacher need to know in August?
- What are things I can do as a parent to partner with my child’s teacher during kindergarten?
- What is the best way to share important information about my child I think his/her teacher should know?
- What do I do if my child’s normal pick-up/drop-off routine is different?
- Where do I go to get more information about kindergarten in Andover?
- How can I best prepare my child for the routine of kindergarten?
- How do I know what to have my child work on over the summer to get ready for kindergarten?
- How can I prepare myself, as a parent?
- What changes will I notice in my child the first few weeks of school?